What is justice? It is something that we feel intuitively, but often have trouble pinning down. We know very often when a particular action is unjust, but rarely are fully able to articulate why. Today, we’ll dive into the principles of justice and how to apply them – at least as best as we can in one podcast.
Two things brought this topic to mind. One is my reading of Plato’s Apology and Crito. The other is watching Person of Interest. One is a look at how to face injustice with piety, and the other is a series on how to stop premeditated violence with a machine that violates our rights. Have the principles of justice changed since the death of Socrates, or are the same principles at work today?
“It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.”-Edmund Burke
I want to walk through parts of the Apology and Crito in order to understand the ancient conception of justice. Then, we can look at the principles of justice in today’s world. What do we do when the genie’s out of the bottle and we can’t put it back in? Can injustice be a means to justice or is that always out of the question? That’s what we’ll explore today, and hopefully find some answers.
Enjoy solving today’s problems with the wisdom of the past? Join the Conversation of Our Generation.
163. Book Review | The Analects, The Doctrine Of The Mean, and The Great Learning by Confucius – Conversation of Our Generation
- 163. Book Review | The Analects, The Doctrine Of The Mean, and The Great Learning by Confucius
- 162. How To Engage In Discussions – Conversation The WGN Podcast
- 161. Book Review | Titus Andronicus By William Shakespeare
- 160. Restoring Traditional Architecture – Zach the Architect Interview
- 159. Book Review | Jefferson’s Great Gamble by Charles Cerami [A look at the Louisiana Purchase]
- 158. Justice, Politics, Reading and More with The Vital Masculinity Podcast
- 157. Book Review | Letter to a Suffering Church by Bishop Robert Barron
- 156. Art From the Point of View of an Artist – Amy Mastrine Interview
- 155. Book Review | How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- 154. How To Become A Published Author