Is America irredeemable? Is it an intrinsically evil place, built on evil principles? Or, is it a place worth defending?
“A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.”–Frederick Douglass
Like this podcast? Click below to share it!
Is America even worth defending anymore? Or, is it simply an evil, racist, fascist country? Check out this discussion with The Conversation of Our Generation’s @NickJamell: https://conversationofourgeneration.com/2020/07/06/132-is-america-worth-defending/Tweet
The charges being brought against America all too often are numerous. Charges of racism, imperialism, misogyny, greed, and more are thrown around casually, often with complete disregard for the implications. If America is so irredeemable, how can these critics take part in any way?
Are there fair criticisms? Sure. Were there grievous atrocities and injustices committed? Yes. But, that is not an excuse to be complicit in the erasure of history in favor of this Marxist hypothesis.
Why then is it worth defending? The ideals are the answer. A Constitution is not simply a written document. We have a written one to preserve the real constitution and offer the nation’s citizens a means of redress against the government.
However, the constitution in its original sense was the institutions, traditions, culture, politics, and common values that made up the society. It is developed over time, and after 300 years of subsisting as colonies, our founders realized we had broken from the English motherland.
No, and that’s why they don’t stick. Not only is there not evidence of these charges, but there’s actually evidence that we led the way in getting rid of many of these things. And that is why America is worth defending.
Enjoy solving today’s problems with the wisdom of the past? Join the Conversation of Our Generation.
240. What happened to yesterday's episode? – Conversation of Our Generation
- 240. What happened to yesterday's episode?
- 239. Neo-paganism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 238. Postmodernism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 237. Scientism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 236. Materialism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 235. Naturalism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 234. The Golden Mean for Understanding Objective and Subjective Reality
- 233. Is Patriotism Good? | Reflections on the 4th of July
- 232. Unity of Subject and Object
- 231. What is Subjective Reality?