How much do you know about the history of religious freedom? These cases are truly interesting, especially if you want to see where the “Wall of Separation” between church and state lies. Listen below to learn more.
A great bonus to buying this book is that it has a copy of the entire Constitution and the amendments in the back. (Just sayin…) But, more importantly, it is a barely-edited version of the decisions by the Supreme Court. The few edits are to take out the “legalese” and make it more understandable and readable for the lay person. I was able to fly through it and really enjoyed it all the way.
“In the realm of religious faith, and in that of political belief, sharp differences arise. In both fields the tenets of one man may seem the rankest error to his neighbor. To persuade others to his own point of view, the pleader, as we know, at times, resorts to exaggeration, to vilification of men who have been, or are, prominent in church or state, and even to false statement. But the people of this nation have ordained in the light of history, that, in spite of the probability of excesses and abuses, these liberties are, in the long view, essential to enlightened opinion and right conduct on the part of the citizens of a democracy.”Justice Owen Roberts [Cantwell v. Connecticut]
What I love is when these cases are read back-to-back, it’s easy to see where the lines are drawn between church and state. Plus, when a case is referred to, there’s a good chance you recently read it (since they appear in chronological order) and you recognize the line of logic being used. This really opened my eyes to how precedents are set.
Enjoy solving today’s problems with the wisdom of the past? Join the Conversation of Our Generation.
240. What happened to yesterday's episode? – Conversation of Our Generation
- 240. What happened to yesterday's episode?
- 239. Neo-paganism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 238. Postmodernism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 237. Scientism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 236. Materialism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 235. Naturalism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 234. The Golden Mean for Understanding Objective and Subjective Reality
- 233. Is Patriotism Good? | Reflections on the 4th of July
- 232. Unity of Subject and Object
- 231. What is Subjective Reality?