Thomas Sowell is one of the clearest thinkers and communicators, and has a deep knowledge on a range of topics. Controversial Essays is perfect proof of this as Sowell offers practical thoughts and solutions to a range of political, sociological, economic, and personal problems.
“It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.”–Thomas Sowell
This book is an easy read. Each of the essays is only a couple pages, so you can do it in bursts. It’s a great book to have on the table to pick up here and there and flip through a couple essays. I found it really helpful to read a couple then reflect on them and gather my thoughts so I can distill it. He writes simply, yet profoundly, and there are layers to it that you can unravel the more you contemplate. Also, it’s a great way to get lots of facts and figures quickly and easily that are well sourced and cited if that’s something you need.
This isn’t the first of his books that I’ve reviewed. It is however, the first one I read of his that I read. I was heavily influenced in how I think and approach issues by Sowell after reading this, and I think it would make a huge difference to anyone else looking for new ways to think.
174. Reviving Traditional Art – Conversation of Our Generation
- 174. Reviving Traditional Art
- 173. Book Review | The Prince By Niccolo Machiavelli
- 172. Power of Ancient and Esoteric Wisdom
- 170. Culture From the Conservative Perspective – Alan Cornett Interview
- 169. Book Review | State of the Nullification Movement
- 168. Drawn in by Beauty – Stained Glass Zealot Interview
- 167. Book Review | Nineteenth-Century Thought by Richard Schoenwald
- 166. Election Thoughts, Libertarianism, ACB and More with Sean Boston
- 164. Dispelling Common Catholic History Myths