Thomas Sowell is one of the clearest thinkers and communicators, and has a deep knowledge on a range of topics. Controversial Essays is perfect proof of this as Sowell offers practical thoughts and solutions to a range of political, sociological, economic, and personal problems.
“It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.”–Thomas Sowell
This book is an easy read. Each of the essays is only a couple pages, so you can do it in bursts. It’s a great book to have on the table to pick up here and there and flip through a couple essays. I found it really helpful to read a couple then reflect on them and gather my thoughts so I can distill it. He writes simply, yet profoundly, and there are layers to it that you can unravel the more you contemplate. Also, it’s a great way to get lots of facts and figures quickly and easily that are well sourced and cited if that’s something you need.
This isn’t the first of his books that I’ve reviewed. It is however, the first one I read of his that I read. I was heavily influenced in how I think and approach issues by Sowell after reading this, and I think it would make a huge difference to anyone else looking for new ways to think.
Restoring Old Homes with Beauty and Purpose – Conversation of Our Generation
- Restoring Old Homes with Beauty and Purpose
- What is Virtue? | Book Review Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
- The Golden Mean
- Take Responsibility and Bear Your Burden | The Fellowship of the Ring Book Review
- Problems with Money | What Has Government Done to Our Money by Murray Rothbard
- Traditional Architecture Lesson| History of the Pantheon and St. Peter’s
- 190. Saving the Family From our Culture – Scott Yenor Interview
- 189. Learn How to Discuss Ideas from Plato’s Symposium