Thomas Sowell is one of the clearest thinkers and communicators, and has a deep knowledge on a range of topics. Controversial Essays is perfect proof of this as Sowell offers practical thoughts and solutions to a range of political, sociological, economic, and personal problems.
“It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.”–Thomas Sowell
This book is an easy read. Each of the essays is only a couple pages, so you can do it in bursts. It’s a great book to have on the table to pick up here and there and flip through a couple essays. I found it really helpful to read a couple then reflect on them and gather my thoughts so I can distill it. He writes simply, yet profoundly, and there are layers to it that you can unravel the more you contemplate. Also, it’s a great way to get lots of facts and figures quickly and easily that are well sourced and cited if that’s something you need.
This isn’t the first of his books that I’ve reviewed. It is however, the first one I read of his that I read. I was heavily influenced in how I think and approach issues by Sowell after reading this, and I think it would make a huge difference to anyone else looking for new ways to think.
132. Is America Worth Defending? – Conversation of Our Generation
- 132. Is America Worth Defending?
- 131. Book Review | The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- 130. Interview with the Vital Masculinity Project
- 129. Book Review | 12 Rules For Life by Jordan B. Peterson
- 128. Why Marx is Wrong From Premise to Conclusion
- 127. Book Review | Controversial Essays by Thomas Sowell
- 126. When Lies Spread Faster Than Truth
- 125. Book Review | Politics by Aristotle
- 124. Our Pornographic Culture
- 123. Book Review | Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell