I sat down to chat with Amy Mastrine, a talented artist, about her work and the state of art today. Beauty and art are essential to culture. When the arts decay, so does the culture. And in our culture, it’s hard to argue our arts are in a good place. Luckily, there are talented artists like Amy fighting to create a culture of beauty.
An artist’s look at art
Artists don’t always have the ability to analyze the full meaning of their art. But, they are capable of analyzing the beauty and form of art. Thats why I looked for someone who was not only a talented artist, but a sharp thinker as well.
Artists can see things a layman doesn’t. Instead of just offering my opinion on the arts, I asked an artist for her thoughts to call on her expertise. My goal of this conversation was to learn more about what it takes to create beautiful art and the obstacles facing those who try to do that.
“Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.”–Winston Churchill
The current state of art:
We covered a lot of ground in this interview. Firstly, we looked into many of the problems holding artists back. Then, we dove into the importance of art and the relationship between art and culture. Moreover, we discussed how Amy, and other artists, are going back to the old methods with a new twist. This, I believe, is where we can begin to go back to true art that lifts the soul. For my fellow Roger Scruton fans, we discussed his thoughts on beauty and aesthetics as well.
More about the artist:
Amy Mastrine is an artist interested in mysticism, beauty, and truth. Amy was born in western Pennsylvania, and her last name is Italian for “master of a trade or craft.” Her style has been described as feminine, whimsical, and representational. Amy’s work is intended to honor the divine and sacred. You can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and her shop.
240. What happened to yesterday's episode? – Conversation of Our Generation
- 240. What happened to yesterday's episode?
- 239. Neo-paganism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 238. Postmodernism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 237. Scientism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 236. Materialism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 235. Naturalism & The Human Person | The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 234. The Golden Mean for Understanding Objective and Subjective Reality
- 233. Is Patriotism Good? | Reflections on the 4th of July
- 232. Unity of Subject and Object
- 231. What is Subjective Reality?