The beautiful has been lost in our culture. Beauty has been reduced to lustful images and true beauty has been neglected and attacked. If we want to correct the course for our culture, we must restore standards of beauty and find new ways to create and distribute true art.
“Beauty in distress is much the most affecting beauty.”–Edmund Burke
Beauty and truth go hand in hand, and the attack on both is not accidental. That is why those who put forward truth and offer beauty are denigrated. But, we must support those speaking truth and offering real beauty.
Places where we can reclaim beauty where it has been stolen from us:
- Art- The quality of art as dramatically deteriorated. I believe there is a chance for this to be revamped by truly skilled people as long as we are able to refine our taste and patronize true art.
- Music- The deterioration of music’s quality is similarly real. There has always been folk music, and I enjoy music that is simple and not Mozart by any means. That said, I don’t put David Allen Coe on the same pedestal, but recognize the difference.
- Rhetoric- In reading a book on great American speeches, the ability of our leading minds to communicate their thoughts in soaring ways has greatly diminished.
- Architecture – Functional architecture is reflective of a culture that has traded truth and beauty for only economic interests. It is a culture that prefers useful and expedient to good and true.
Several accounts I’ve recently begun following are great at helping preserve art, architecture, style, and beauty of the past. I’ve truly enjoyed these accounts and and others like them, and recommend you check these out.
Enjoy solving today’s problems with the wisdom of the past? Join the Conversation of Our Generation.
142. Don't Attribute To Stupidity That Which Is Proven To Be Malice – Conversation of Our Generation
- 142. Don't Attribute To Stupidity That Which Is Proven To Be Malice
- 141. Book Review | Freedom of Religion Decisions of the United States by Maureen Harrison & Steve Gilbert
- 140. Secularism, America's Established Church
- 139. Book Review | Art of War by Sun Tzu
- 138. Feminism And The Attack on Femininity | Interview with Freed From Feminism